Friday, April 8, 2011

Duchamp


The reading we did on Duchamp was long with reason, this is one of the most influential artists ever. Since I got into UCSB art classes I have not stopped hearing about Duchamp and analyzing his pieces. His idea of the ready made was really one of the most astonishing concepts. The idea that taking an object and literally doing nothing to it but putting it there intently and signing it as art seems crazy to me but at the same time warrants a sort of confidence as an artist. I do not believe that Duchamp created ready made objects because he was overly confident and just wanted to sign his name. His idea was that the intention of the artist is what mattered.

I also liked his idea that the artist is not the only one participating to make the art. I completely agree with the concept that art is nothing until someone interprets it. I believe this tied in well with his ready made objects, because Duchamp believed that it is the onlooker who really makes something art. If the onlooker is what makes it art, than it really could be an object like a stool and bike wheel or a urinal, because the  burden of making something an art piece is not all on the artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment